ESSIC uses the name bladder pain syndrome (BPS) instead of interstitial cystitis (IC) and/or painful bladder syndrome (PBS): click here for more details.
Differentiating interstitial cystitis from similar conditions commonly seen in gynecologic practice.
Dell JR, Mokrzycki ML, Jayne CJ. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print] PMUI 19409685
Bulun SE. N Engl J Med 2009;360:268-79
• a review
Update on the diagnosis and treatment of bladder endometriosis.
Pastor-Navarro H, Gimenez-Bachs JM, Donate-Moreno MJ, et al. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007 Mar 15; [Epub ahead of print]
• common clinical manifestations of bladder endometriosis include menouria and urethral and pelvic pain syndrome occurring cyclically
• cystoscopy is the most useful diagnostic test with confirmation by histologic study
Clinical aspects and surgical treatment of urinary tract endometriosis: our experience with 31 cases.
Antonelli A, Simeone C, Zani D, et al. Eur Urol 2006;49:1093-8. Epub 2006 Apr 4
• the authors conclude that cystoscopy is advisable in women with pelvic endometriosis with lower urinary tract symptoms
• in their hands, partial cystectomy gave the best results when used to treat bladder endometriosis
"Bladder involvement presents with irritative symptoms in more than 70% of patients, which indicates that this condition should be part of the differential diagnosis of interstitial cystitis"
Interstitial cystitis and endometriosis in patients with chronic pelvic pain: The "Evil Twins" syndrome.
Chung MK, Chung RP, Gordon D. JSLS 2005;9:25-9
Increased numbers of activated mast cells in endometriosis lesions positive for corticotropin-releasing hormone and urocortin.
Kempuraj D, Papadopoulou N, Stanford EJ, et al. Am J Reprod Immunol 2004;52:267-75
Hormonal manipulation in women with chronic, cyclic irritable bladder symptoms and pelvic pain.
Lentz GM, Bavendam T, Stenchever MA, et al. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;186:1268-71
Bladder detrusor endometriosis mimicking interstitial cystitis.
Sircus SI, Sant GR, Ucci AA Jr. Urology 1988;32:339-42
• the authors conclude that endometriosis involving the muscular wall of the bladder may cause symptoms similar to those of interstitial cystitis.
• vesical endometriosis should be considered in the differential diagnosis of interstitial cystitis, especially in patients with a history of prior gynecologic or pelvic surgery